Grand Winter Sports Carnival Logo Contest
Hot Sulphur Springs and Grand County will be hosting the 100th Anniversary celebration of the first winter carnival west of the Mississippi from December 30, 2011 through February 11, 2012. The original Hot Sulphur Springs Winter Carnivals are among the most remarkable events in Colorado’s history as the humble beginnings of the states ski industry. The Grand County Historical Association (GCHA) is spearheading a re-creation of the 1911-1912 events. Activities will include ski races, fireworks, ski jumping demonstrations, ski joring (skiers pulled by horses), skating races, town party, parade and a Grand Ball. Winter athletes will be invited to test their endurance in a race that re-creates the trek that Norwegian immigrants Carl Howelsen and Angell Schmidt first completed in 1911, from the top of the Continental Divide all the way to Hot Sulphur Springs, a distance of approximately 40 miles. Locals and visitors alike will also enjoy the ski race imitating the original Cottonwood Pass mail route to Hot Sulphur Springs. There will be winter events and activities throughout Grand County during this time period, paying tribute to the hardy winter sport enthusiasts of a century ago.
1. The Contest is open only to all interested individuals.
2. Members of the Grand Winter Sports Carnival Steering Committee (GWSCSC) or the Grand County Historical Assoc. (GCHA) and their immediate family are not eligible to enter the Contest.
3. Entrants must be of sufficient legal age and standing to enter into a contract with WSFS as required below.
1. Initial entries must be submitted in person to the Sky Hi News (Granby), the Cozens Ranch Museum (Fraser) or the Pioneer Museum (Hot Sulphur Springs). Entries may also be mailed to GCHA P.O. Box 165, Hot Sulphur Springs CO 80452. The entries must be submitted as a computer generated or artistic graphic on 8″x11″ paper.
2. Entries must include the name, age, postal address, phone number and email address of the Entrant separately from the logo entry.
3. No more than 3 Entries may be submitted by any one Entrant.
4. The deadline for Entries is 4pm on May 2nd, 2011.
5. There is no fee to enter the Contest.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.